8.30.2010

The Latest

I just realized that it has been since May that I've posted anything. I guess I've just been relying on facebook to get out all the updates. So, here's our life since May:

     In May I started running again. It's been about 10 years since I've done any regular running, so it's been lots and lots of hard work, but I'm very slowly progressing. I have ups and downs. My father and "coach" was so kind to remind me when I first started out this time that I'm not 15 or 16 anymore and it won't be as easy as it was then. Thanks Dad. It hasn't been easy at all. I've run an average of 4 days/week since May and I'm up to a long run of 4 miles. Now that I've officially started the training program for the half marathon I'll be running in November, I'll be upping my mileage much more rapidly. Every time I have a bad run I remind myself that in May, when I started out, I barely made it a half mile before having to give up and walk. Progress. My goal in November is to finish the half marathon before the course time limit is up. I'd like to say that my goal is 2 hours, 30 minutes, but some days I feel like that's a little ambitious. I'd like to reach the finish line without having to walk. I think my biggest challenge is training alone. I love the alone time, and I love the time to be out in God's creation and marvel at it's beauty. I love pushing myself to do more than I thought I was capable. I'm also coming to terms with being my own runner and not letting myself feel bad because I didn't run 10 miles at an 8:45 min pace (Barrett). For me, running is an individual sport and my biggest competition is myself.

     Bailey turned 2 in June, and we had a princess party for her at the church. She kept arguing with us about her age, saying she wasn't 2, she's still one. For a while she finally agreed that she really was 2, but now she insists that she's 4.

      At the end of June we moved into our new house. It's such a blessing to be in such a great location and in a neighborhood. We live in the country, just 2 miles north of "town", but it sort of feels like a mini-suburb. Haha! I suburb of Nacogdoches! I crack myself up! Anyway...we are loving Nac! We hope our new home allows for more dinner guests, play groups, and just all around fun for our family. The backyard came equipped with a play set for the kids and plenty of landscaping for me to maintain! I've spent lots of time out in the hot sun pulling weeds and trimming bushes. There's still so much more to do, but I think for now we'll just clear out and plan to redo things a bit in the spring. Our street is great! We are on a cul-de-sac with lots and lots of kids and even our pediatrician. Collin is so excited to have a street that is safe for bike riding. That was his only concern when we started looking for houses. Our garage is still half full of boxes, but slowly we're getting them emptied.

    In early July we took a little mini-vacation to Houston and hit the Museum of Natural History and Downtown Aquarium for 2 days. Collin loved the dinosaurs and the butterfly museum. He wasn't too impressed with the aquarium. Bailey liked the butterfly museum most because she could walk around and touch stuff. We enjoyed the family time with just the 4 of us, away from home.

     At the end of July Spencer's mom came for an extended visit, and she just left last week. It was nice to have an extra set of hands around the house! She was able to do her sewing, my housework, and get lots of time with the grandkids. It's been a little bit of an adjustment getting used to doing all the house work or running errands with kids!

     Spencer is still hanging out at Fredonia Hill ministering to children and families. It's been a busy summer for his kiddos. They've had Girls camp, VBS, Preteen camp, and Boys camp, along with several other activities. I got to go to Preteen camp and had a great time. This summer we planned for the Wednesday night activity to be Wet and Wild Wednesdays (W3) and it got rained out all but 3 times! We didn't realize there was so much rain on Wednesday at 5pm in the summer around here! Our church called a new pastor in July, and we're so excited. God is working in our midst and we feel so honored to be a part of what He is doing in this community!

     Collin started Kindergarten last Wednesday, and he loves it! Today on the way home he told me how to spell "red". Before school started he wasn't sure he could handle kindergarten. He was convinced that he needed to go to the 5 year old pre-K class. He does have a late birthday, and school has been debated heavily in our house, but we came to the conclusion that this year he would go to Kindergarten so that he could stay engaged and out of trouble. If he went back to pre-k I'm sure he would have spent lots of time in trouble because he learned his letters, numbers, and colors last year. For the record, he may repeat Kindergarten next year, but that decision won't be made until the time comes. We had his 5th birthday party at our new house with a pirate theme. He had a great time and we were so happy that so much of our family was able to be here, and so many of our new Nac friends! He's already started talking about what he's going to do when he's 6.

     Bailey was pretty disappointed that Collin was going to school and she wasn't. When we talked about school with Collin she would tell us she wanted to go to school, too. Then the week before school started one of our friends moved her son out of one preschool into a different one. It just so happened that the school she took him out of was the school I wanted to put Bailey in! When she called to tell them he wasn't returning, she asked them to give Bailey his spot! We're so thankful! So Bailey gets to go to school! She goes Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 8:30 to 1:00. She loves it, and was silent for only one day. When I picked her up the first day they said she didn't talk much, but on the second day they said she talked A LOT! On days she's in school I get to run in the morning, before the temps hit 90 degrees, and I'm free to run errands and get things done outside the home.

     I'm afraid we've entered the stage in our life where things just don't slow down! We're looking forward to a busy fall, too!



  

No comments: