11.16.2010

I Can't Believe I Just Did That!

In May when I started running again I never dreamed that in 6 months time I would complete a half marathon! Back then I could barely run a half mile. This weekend I ran 13.1, and had fun doing it! I'm so glad I got talked into signing up for this race. It gave me a goal to train toward.

It has been a long road to get to the point where I could run 13.1 miles, all at once! There were times in my training when I thought it was all over and I wouldn't get to run. My family experienced a lot of ups and downs in the last 6 months. We've moved, experienced loss, had some birthdays, started kindergarten and a new preschool, and most recently experienced some stressors related to our income source. The worst setback for me happened right in the middle of my training. I ended up with bursitis in my hip and almost had to stop training all together. I was devastated! I gave up on the pain and went to the doctor. He gave me a cortisone injection into the site on my hip, and I was able to get back into my training! I'd missed 3 weeks of quality training, but I was able to get right back into it. I had to cut back on my mileage, though. I really was so worried that since I had lost so much training time that it would really effect my ability to finish strong.

This last Sunday was finally Race Day! I can't believe it came so fast! We stayed in downtown San Antonio, close to everything, and had a great time! We arrived on Friday since Collin had his race on Saturday, so we hit the expo as a family. Once we got Collin's race packet we walked around, but the expo was a little overwhelming for the family. After Collin's race on Saturday morning I went back to the expo with Barrett. I think I spent entirely too much time on my feet Friday and Saturday, but the expo was just too much fun.

Sunday morning we (Kelly, Jessica, their friends, and I) made it toward the start line! You know that feeling that you have when you've been in line for a roller coaster and you're moving closer and closer to the ride? That "what have I got myself into" feeling? As we moved closer and closer to the start I felt just like that! The atmosphere was great and really helped ease my fears. We were there to have fun running together, and I didn't need to worry about anything. I'm so glad Jessica was there to help us figure out how to prepare and get us to the start. I would have been totally overwhelmed without her. Once we started running the fun began! I can't believe how fun and comfortable the whole race was. Of course I was running and pushing myself to run a distance I hadn't accomplished before, and I was working hard. I've just never had that much fun running! Before we started I warned our group that I probably wouldn't be talking to anyone, but I talked and laughed throughout most of the race. I stopped once to drink/egel, and once to tie my shoe, but other than that I made it through without even wanting to stop! Around mile 10 I became much less pleasant. I had e-geled and there wasn't water right away and the crowds started to get to me. I was tired of having to go around walkers in the middle of the road, and I was generally tired of so many people being on my running route! I did every single training run alone(expect a 2 miler with Barrett while I was injured), so this was a brutal introduction to group running. It seemed that the closer we got to the end, the more crowded it became. At mile 11 I stopped being nice and just bumped into people. At mile 12 I started running by people and yelling that I was coming up on their side. I'd had enough of this crowd and I was ready to be out of it! At one point between mile 11 & 12 I passed some girl who was cheerily telling a spectator that she hadn't had to stop once. She was too peppy and lucky I didn't punch her in the face! Not really, I just was done with the crowd, and every little thing became super annoying. Especially the ridiculous hill at the end of the course!

After 2 hours, 22 minutes, and 8 seconds I finished! I still can't believe I accomplished that! I'm so excited that I did. I feel like I'm walking a little taller now. I can really call myself a runner now! I'm ready to sign up for the next race. I can't imagine not training for something. I'll have to wait a little while, but my plan is to train like I'm running Dallas in March, so that if I can run it I'll be ready. I'm definitely addicted to running races and doing with people!

I'm planning to do a recovery run today, and I'm so excited to get back out there!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oh Christin!! I had SO much fun during this race. It was honestly the most fun I've ever had during a race. I was so glad to get to do this with you. I just wish we could have spent more time together. Next time we will plan better!!