2.19.2011

Seriously? Not this again!

I just need to take a moment and share some frustration, but first, a little back story...

Once upon a time, less than a year ago, I started running. Then I got inspired to run a half marathon. I completed it, and did it faster than I thought I could! The training was tough, but I made it through and accomplished a huge goal. Also, I fell back in love with running! I love that I call myself a runner.  I love to read about running.  I love to shop for running gear. Most of all, I love to go running!

My training didn't go smoothly 100% of the time. At around the 4th week (8 weeks until the race) into the training I ended up with an injury. I had bursitis in my right hip. It really slowed me down, and I could only tolerate about a mile of pain with every step before I had to stop. For 3 weeks I only ran a mile a day. By the 4th week of that I went to the doctor and got a cortisone shot in my hip. After 24 hours all was great again! I could run pain free! But, I lost a little of the endurance I'd built up. I had to start slow again. I was able to catch back up on my mileage, though. I think the week before the race I could say that I felt completely healed. I finally could walk without a limp and sleep on that side comfortably again! Amazing, right?

So, that brings me to my frustration today. Over the last couple of weeks Running and I have not had the best relationship. Every step has been painful. Every breath has been tough. I think some of it is mental. There are some things that are causing stress that I just don't have any control over, and we've travels a lot lately. It's been tough to keep  up a normal schedule. I have missed a few weekday runs. The biggest problem right now, though, is that I think I have bursitis in my left hip. I'm not happy at all. Now I have to dial down the mileage and see if I can heal. I am supposed to run another race in March, but now I don't see that happening. I'm pretty sad. I could run/walk it, but I would just be disappointed in myself.

I know I need to do some cross training to strengthen other muscles, but I don't have access to a gym membership where I could do that. (I know that's probably not a good enough excuse, but it's what I'm going with.)

So, now I'm just sad. I used to love running and I want to again. Today I am supposed to run 7 miles, but I'm only going to run 2 or 3. So sad.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Aw Christin. That just sucks. I am so sorry.

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

I feel your pain. Running and i have a non-existent relationship right now. I want to love it, but right now I don't. So... there's that. Hang in there.