9.27.2008

Chess and Baseball

Q: What's the difference between chess and baseball?
A: In chess, the pieces move!

My dad told me that joke.
I used to be terribly bored with baseball, until I met my husband. Now I'm a pretty big baseball fan. Well, a pretty big Astros baseball fan. We watch the Astros games on TV just about every night of the week. Only off days and Sundays (since the games are shown in our area) do we get to catch up on all the other TV shows we've recorded during the week. The only time we really run into a problem is when the Cowboys play a Monday night football game!
Even though we love to watch baseball on TV, nothing compares to going to Minute Maid Park to see the Astros play live. (On a side note, I just heard someone call Minute Maid "the Juice Box" and I like it!) I always enjoy going to the ballpark, but there is one thing that disappoints me: people doing "the wave" at a baseball game. SO, for my first blogging rant, I will discuss my feelings on the horrible phenomenon known as the wave being done at a baseball game.
First, and foremost, it's just annoying! I'm trying to watch a baseball game and people are standing up, screaming, and blocking my view of the game! Second, it communicates to the team that their hard work is boring you. When you're doing the wave, you have to concentrate on watching it go around the stadium so that you'll be ready for your turn, instead of focusing on the game. Common wave etiquette dictates that it is supposed to be done when "your" team or the home team is on offense, but I've never been to a baseball game where this is the case. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all! Third, baseball stadium seats are not in a contiguous. There's a big gaping hole in the middle of your wave. It just looks dumb! The wave is meant for, and works much better in a football stadium that has seating all the way around the field. It's much more impressive looking in that situation. SO, feel free to "wave" all you want at a football game, but don't do it at a baseball game!

2 comments:

Spencer said...

Amen! I feel it is akin to touching a ball that is in play. Whoever starts the wave should get kicked out for interfering with the sanctity of the game.

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

I, too, hate the wave.

But I also am bored to tears with baseball. I kind of like your dad's joke.

:)